The Narwhal Whale (Monodon monoceros)
I was never really a huge fan of Halloween (my costumes growing up were usually limited to my favorite book characters, whom I pretended I was all year round anyway), but teaching has really really reduced my enthusiasm for the holiday. Let's make it into a list since I'm a Virgo.
Why I love Halloween:
- October is nearly over.
- This YouTube video:
Why I Hate Halloween:
- Sugar + children = doom. In fact, I looked down for 30 seconds today to take attendance, and when I looked up, one of my boys had created a long baton by connecting markers and was using it to move the ceiling tiles. When I asked him what he thought he was doing, he said, "Checking for bats," and started laughing maniacally.
- The "Miss, I like your ____ costume!" joke gets old after about 40 times (nerd, librarian, white lady)
- I'm too tired from wrangling up sugar-fueled crazies after the end of the day for any kind of elaborate costume party/happy hour/adult celebration.
- I go around seeing posters that say "HALOWEN" or "HOLLOWEEN" and it makes my eye twitch. Although one of my ESL students wrote "JAPI JALOGUIN" on my board and it made me put my head down on my desk and chuckle defeatedly.
- Students are constantly asking me, "Miss, where your Halloween decorations at?" and I say, "Same place you left your grammar."
- I feel obligated to give my students Halloween candy, and also feel obligated to eat about 5-7 pieces of it. By the end of the day I feel like a beached narwhal.
- It happens every year. And I can't be absent or people will think I missed because I was hung over.